United Kingdom

United Kingdom Drving Advice and Car Rental info

Driving In United Kingdom

Visitors from most countries can drive for up to 12 Months on their own countries licence. Use this tool to check eligibility –


The main concern is likely to be driving on the ‘wrong’ side of the road if you’re from USA or Mainland Europe. The British drive on the left and the steering wheel is on the right of the car. The gear stick will be on your left. (If you prefer an automatic car, you’ll need to specify that when renting as the majority of cars in Britain have manual transmission/ stick shift). As with Brits driving abroad, you’ll find that you adapt pretty quickly. The main difference you’ll notice is that at roundabouts, you’ll give way to the right. Also at a red light, in the USA you can turn right at a red light. No similar rule exists in Britain. (No I’ve no idea why. It seems perfectly sensible to me). Also on a multi lane road, you can only overtake to the right of the vehicle you’re passing. i.e you can’t do what the Brits call ‘undertaking’.

Roads in UK are generally in good condition and in most cases the driving standards are high and rules of the road are upheld. Drivers used to Southern or Eastern Europe , Asia or Africa, will probably find that the speeds are slower than they’re used to and that driving style is quite polite. i.e tailgating and even use of the horn are frowned upon. Drivers may also flash their lights at you at junctions- this generally means they’re giving you the right of way, though proceed with caution if this happens.

The UK has an excellent system of multi lane roads (motorways) linking all main towns and Cities. The speed limit is 70 MPH (110KMH), though there are currently discussions on increasing this to 80MPH (130KMH) and you’ll find that most drivers travel at around this speed on motorways. As mentioned above, slower traffic should keep to the left on motorways as vehicles can only pass on the right. The main motorways in UK are –

M1 – the main route from North to South up the centre of the country
M3- Main route from London to the South Coast
M4- London to South West and Wales
M5 –London via the South West to the Midlands
M6 – The North to South route via North West England and onto the Lake District and Scotland
M8 –Main route in Scotland linking Glasgow and Edinburgh
M11 –London to Cambridge and passing Stansted Airport
M25 –Circular route around London
M40 – Links London to the Midlands
M42 –runs South and East of Birmingham
M62 – Runs across England from Hull to Liverpool linking the urban areas of West Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside

Speed cameras are prevalent throughout the UK and are usually indicated by a white sign with a black camera symbol, and the cameras themselves are generally painted yellow and are situated by the side of the road. The area on the road surface beside the camera has white grid lines painted on it too. Therefore you should be able to easily spot fixed speed cameras if you know what to look out for.Average speed limits are a new development on UK roads, particularly through road works. The average speed is clearly quoted and you’ll find that drivers generally abide by the speed limit in these areas, unlike on other roads with cameras where you should expect drivers to break the limit then slam on their brakes just in front of the camera! Police officers may use hand held speed cameras on motorways but its the fixed cameras which catch out most British motorists.

As with most countries any major problems are likely to involve negotiating City Centres. If you can pick the car up at an airport which is generally away from the centre and you should find it easy to get onto a motorway or into the open country. For instance, if flying to London, Heathrow airport is situated just off the M4 and Gatwick just off the M23. Public transport links to both are very good so theres really no need to rent a car whilst staying in the City. Use public transport to get around and once you’re ready to explore the rest of the UK, pick up your rental car at the airport. If you do decide to have a car delivered to your hotel in a City Centre, ask if the car rental company will drive the car out of the centre for you- in most Cities the centre is relatively small and you should be able to reach a main road within a few minutes.

London has a congestion charging system in operation.(As does Durham in the North East) The London Charge applies for vehicles entering or moving within the Zone from Monday – Friday between 07.00 – 18.00 – except on public holidays. Charges are £12.00 per day payable either in advance or before midnight on the day of entering the Zone. This charge increases to £14.00 if paid after midnight on the day of entering the Zone and the driver has until midnight on the next charging day to make this £14.00 payment. You will receive a fine via the rental company a couple of weeks after entering the zone without registering. Most companies will expect you to arrange to pay the congestion charge yourself so you should check this out when you collect the vehicle. More details on the congestion charge can be found on the site below-


Some driving distances and times between Cities and major tourist centres in the UK –

London –Birmingham – 190KM, 2 hours
London –Brighton -90KM ,1.5hrs
London –Manchester -340KM, 3.5hrs
London –York -335 KM, 3.5hrs
London –Edinburgh -650 KM, 7 hours
London–Bath – 185KM, 2 Hours
London –Oxford- 90 Km, 1 hour
London to Stratford Upon Avon – 164km, 2 hours
London to Stonehenge (Nr Salisbury, Wiltshire) – 140km, 1 hr 30
London to Penzance (Lands End) -460KM, 5 hours
London-Newcastle -450KM, 4.5 hrs
London –Cardiff – 240KM, 2.5 Hours
London –Hull (North Sea Ferry) – 345km,3.5hrs
London –Dover- 120km, 1.5hrs
London –Leeds, 320KM, 3.5 hrs
London-Liverpool, 340KM, 3.5hrs
Leeds –Edinburgh, 360KM, 4hrs
Hull-Newcastle – 230KM, 2hrs
Newcastle- Edinburgh -208KM, 2hours
Manchester- Lake District – 200KM , 2 hours
Lake District –Edinburgh – 160KM , 2hours
York –Edinburgh – 340KM, 4 hours
Edinburgh –Inverness -253KM, 3 hours

For more information on driving in Scotland and Northern Ireland, see the relevant sections on these pages.

This site provides lots of useful information on driving in England’s Yorkshire Dales, with a number of scenic drives, including one covering the route of the 2014 Tour De France which departs from Leeds and travels through the Dales –


United Kingdom Car Rental –

Sixt , Hertz, Europcar, Alamo, National,Avis, Budget,  Dollar, Thrifty, Enterprise have outlets here. Also usually features on Car rental broker sites such as Argus Car Hire and Web discount sites such as ebookers.com. or Expedia. There will also generally be some smaller local companies in most towns. However, don’t confuse the term ‘Private Hire’ car with a rental car. This is a term for a semi licenced taxi or mini cab- you will confuse them if you call and ask to drive their cars!

United Kingdom Self Drive Rules-

Most of the big companies will allow you to take the vehicle outside the British Isles to mainland European countries and Ireland but its highly unlikely you’ll manage to arrange a one way rental. If you intend to take the car from UK you should advise the rental company when you make the reservation. There is no restriction on taking cars to Scotland or Wales – you won’t even need to show your passport!

1 comment

  1. Cindy Onne

    I need a Foreign Nanny/Baby sitter or House keeper and a Driver

    I Want to Employ the Services of a Nanny/Housekeeper at My Home in England, Nice friendly family of 4 looking for a Nanny. We have 2 wonderful boys and a girl– 8 months, 2 and 5 years old and the ideal candidate should be a positive role-model for them. If you are fun, energetic, kind, caring, organized, reliable, detail-oriented, athletic, cheerful, and smart and love children, then we would love to talk to you!

    Position involves traveling with our family including some international travel (4 to 7 weeks a year) as well as travel within the UK. We pay all travel expenses. This is a good opportunity for someone who likes to travel or is interested in traveling. Destinations include Europe, Asia, and the Caribbean.

    The work schedule varies based on travel, school schedule, holidays, and other activities – day and evening, both weekends and weekdays. While caring for the children is the primary responsibility, there will be light housekeeping (there is a full-time housekeeper 5 days a week), meal prep, errands (in provided car), and other household assistance. We are looking for someone who is able to make a minimum 24 month commitment.

    We offer a great salary 600 Pounds Sterling Weekly, health-care insurance, paid vacation, 401K (after 6 months), private, furnished apartment over the garage with separate entrance. If you are interested, you should contact me via my email address: cindyonne@yahoo.com, with your C.V or resume.



Leave a Reply